Controversial queen of Bollywood Rakhi Sawant turns 36 on Tuesday, 25 November 2014.
The actress, who recently forayed into Indian politics has appeared in many Bollywood as well as other-language films. The actress is often referred to as a sex symbol.
Rakhi, born on 25 November 1978, is the sister of former actress Usha Sawant and and director Rakesh Sawant. The drama queen made her acting debut in Naseerudhin Shah- Govinda starrer "Agnichakra" in 1997, and she went on to do cameo and sensuous dance numbers in many films.
The actress turned an item dancer in Zayed Khan-Esha Deol starrer "Chura Liyaa Hai Tumne" (2003) for the song "Mohabbat Hai Mirchi", for which she was auditioned about four times. Later, Rakhi acted in "Masti" and "Main Hoon Na", among others.
Rakhi's attention-seeking behaviour has always drawn negative publicity, and in 2006, singer-composer Mika Singh's kissing attempt caught the attention of media. Soon, her appearance in "Bigg Boss" Season 1 made her a familiar face among the audience and she was among the top four finalists of the controversial show.
Apart from dancing and acting, the contentious Rakhi made her singing debut in Venus Records and Tapes' album "Super Girl" (2007). She got quite a lot of media attention when she launched the reality show "Rakhi Ka Swayamwar", which was aired on NDTV Imagine, to find her a life partner.
The show, which began on 29 June 2009, was hosted by Bollywood actor Ram Kapoor. On 2 August, during the show's last episode, Rakhi chose Elesh Parujanwala, a contestant from Toronto, Canada as her husband. However, the couple parted ways after a few months.
Rakhi has been appearing in many reality shows and is a stage performer in award functions and TV shows.
Meanwhile, this year, Rakhi shocked everyone when she forayed into Indian politics. The actress created a party called Rashtriya Aam Party (RAP) to contest in the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections from Mumbai North-West constituency. However, she received only 2006 votes against Aam Aadmi Part candidate Mayank Gandhi. After the elections, she joined the Republican Party of India (Athavale) to work for the welfare of dalits.
The actress, who is known for making outrageous comments, has irked many celebrities and fans and gained a lot of enemies.
Read below the most outrageous comments made by the actor-turned-politician:
1. "Aamir Khan and I are similar. Neither of us has ever got an award, but then we have got credit from our audiences."
2. "I'm sure Baba Ramdev will lose his virginity when he comes face-to-face with my adaayein."
3. "My husband should be big-hearted, a man who respects women, should make me laugh and be able to dance. I have all these qualities and I don't want people to think hoor ke bagal mein langoor."
4. "Mahesh Bhatt is signing Sunny Leone for Jism 2 only for her nudity. After all, it makes things easier for the filmmaker. In any case, he makes his heroines shed clothes, so it will make things easy for him because Sunny has already shed her clothes long back!"
5. "It seems Katrina really likes me – in Chikni Chameli, she is again following me...."
6. "I wanna wear the same kind of C String panty during the show which American reality TV star Kim Kardashian wore in one of her shows. It doesn't have strings and it's a very brave act to wear it."
7. "Jo God nahi deta, woh doctor de deta hai!!"
8. "All thеѕе people – thе Sheilas аnd thе Munnis – аrе аll paani kum chai (insipid). I аm аnd wіll always bе thе original item girl."
9. "Also, if doing item numbers makes you an item girl, even Aishwarya Rai is an item girl."
10. "Without sex appeal there is no talent and without talent there is no sex appeal."
11. "I fail to understand as to why no one has offered me roles like the ones offered to the legendary actor Smita Patil." –
12. " Jab Amitabh sir gaa sakte hain, Shahrukh ji gaa sakte hain, Aamir ji aur Sanjay ji gaa saktey hain to main Rakhi Sawant kyun na gaaoon? Main bhi gaoongii!