After Maps Fiasco, Apple Makes Room for Google's Navigation Feature in App Store
In September, the Google Maps app was dropped from the Apple store after the release of iOS 6 mobile operating system. The OS came pre-installed with Apple's in-house built Maps App.
Apple Maps app was panned by critics and users for giving inaccurate route information and other data.
Apple CEO Tim Cook issued a public apology to iPhone users after complaints were raised.
Following Cook's apology, the company's senior vice-president of software division, Scott Forstall, was forced to step down for not acknowledging the app's goof-up. Few days later Rich Williamson, who headed Apple's mapping software, was also ousted.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Sensing an opportunity, Google's Maps app returned to salvage Apple's Maps app fiasco. Though some describe Google's move as a saving grace, Apple needs to quickly fix the glitch in its Maps app to keep its reputation intact.
The Google's Maps app for mobile Apple products comes with a new design and streamlined interface for easier navigation.
Other key features of Google Maps App include:
- Users can find eateries and shopping spots with ratings and reviews.
- Users can sync their searches, business addresses, favorite places between their computer and phone.
- Users will get voice-based, turn-by-turn driving assistance.
- The navigation app will provide real-time information like live traffic updates to help plan one's travelling route. The app will also provide schedules and directions to train, bus, subway stations.
Street View and Imagery:
- Users will get to see 360-degree panoramic views using Street View as well as 45-degree imageries of historic structures around the world.
- The app comes with more than 100,000 businesses inside structure maps.
Google's navigation app comes with many more features. Buyers can click here to download the Google Maps in the Apple app store.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Update: iPhone 6 to Feature WiFi Indoor Navigation and 3D Positioning
- Google Nexus 6 Could Come With 64-Bit SoC from MediaTek but Release Date Must Wait Until December 2014 – Reports
- Apple Inc. Surprises Investors and Analysts with $45.6B Revenue Due to Strong iPhone Sales in Q2 2014
- iPhone 6 Release Date: Comparison of Apple Smartphone's Case with Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 5S [VIDEO]
- Earlier iPhone 6 Release Date on Q3 2014 Confirmed by Leaked Metal Casing & Display Glass Details – Reports
- Asia Markets: Tech Sector Brightens as Apple Jumps 8 Percent
- Apple Expands Buybacks by $30 Billion
- With Apple Inc’s $130-Billion Capital Return Programme, it’s a Long-Term Hold, Says Icahn
- New 'Call of Duty' 2014 Screen Teased and Chaos Mode for 'Ghosts' Arrives with Update
- PS4 Improvements and 1.7 App Detailed and PS Plus May Lineup Revealed