Google+ Debuts Communities and Also Hits the Milestone of 135 Million Active Users
Google has introduced a new section "Communities" to its social network Google+.
The search engine leader Google claimed that more than 500 million users have signed up for the Google+ network and it has recorded 135 million active users in its social network.
Addition of Communities section in the Google+ is seen as an attempt to woo more users to its social network. Google+ is the fourth social network service introduced by Google.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Google's first foray into the social network was "Orkut," launched in 2004, which is now operated separately by Google Brazil. Its second network service was "Google Friend Connect," which was launched in 2008 and retired in 2012.
The search engine giant's third attempt was "Google Buzz," launched in 2010 and retired in 2011.
"During the holidays we reconnect with loved ones and rediscover what makes us tick. And it's times like these that remind me why we started Google+ in the first place: to make online sharing as meaningful as the real thing. Too often our online tools miss the subtlety and substance of real-world interactions, and Google+ aims to fix this. Fortunately we've got a vibrant community to guide us," said Vivek Gundotra, senior vice-president, Google+.
The search engine giant claims Communities section is a gathering place for users to share their passions with friends which includes:
- Public or private membership to support all kinds of groups - from topics and interests to local neighborhoods.
- The option to start hangouts and plan events with community members.
- The section allows users to share with the community from any +1 button across the web.
The communities section in Google+ can be accessed from a PC; mobile phone feature will be introduced in the coming days.
Google recently acquired the Snapseed app developer, Nik Software Inc., for an undisclosed amount in September this year.
Snapseed app's main features include:
- Basic adjustments like tuning, straightening and cropping images.
- Creative filters like drama, black & white and vintage that users can apply individually or in combination.
- Control Point technology to enhance users' photo, like brightening just the face or deepen the sky and many more options.
- The ability to share users' artwork through Google + and other services.
Google looks to consolidate the mobile platform to reach out to more users in order to generate more revenue in this profitable mobile internet business.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- Juan Pablo Galavis Controversy: ‘Bachelor’ Star Blames His Poor English for Retweeting ‘Retard’ Comment
- Dark Souls 2: PC Requirement Details and Release Date Outed, New Gameplay Video Shows Boss Fights [VIDEO]
- Amitabh Bachchan Turns Rapper With Honey Singh for ‘Bhoothnath Returns’ [PHOTOS]
- ‘Millionaire Matchmaker’ Season 7 Episode 12: Why Couldn’t Patti Stanger find Emil Chynn's Match?
- Ukraine Standoff Intensifies, Russia says Sanctions will 'Boomerang'
- Kejriwal takes Aim at Modi's Economic Model