Apple Asked to Disclose HTC Settlement Details to Samsung
The order comes with the instruction "attorneys-eyes only." It specifies that the settlement documents can only be examined by Samsung's official attorneys. The document cannot be viewed by a third party nor made public.
Apple made a patent deal with HTC on November 10 that included dropping all current lawsuits and a 10-year license covering current and future patents held by both parties.
Samsung received two happy tidings this Thanksgiving: On November 19, the USITC (United States International Trade Commission) announced a review of the August judgment which ordered Samsung to pay $1.05 billion to Apple for patent infringement and design specifications. And now U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal has ordered Apple to disclose HTC patent settlement to Samsung.
According to Reuters, the Korean company has argued that it is "almost certain" that the HTC deal covers some of the same patents involved in its own litigation with Apple.
- FOLLOW US
- Follow @ibtimesindia
Samsung believes that a royalty was a more suitable alternative compared to a permanent injunction.
Muller has observed that any change in the ownership of these companies will automatically make this settlement void.
- The patent agreement is governed by the laws of U.S. and California.
- It is said that the lawsuit can be revoked if any new disputes do arise in the future.
- It has been noted that both companies have no intention of sharing all their patent rights because the leaked document is unclear whether the settlement extends to all patents of both the companies.
Samsung's main concern would be to ascertain the monetary compensation that Apple would gain from HTC for its December 6 hearing, where Apple is requesting a ban on some Samsung products in the U.S.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
- NOAA Finds Lost Shipwreck in the San Francisco Bay after More than 125 Years
- 'True Detective’ Season 2 Airdate and Cast Update: 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Actress Emma Stone and Kristen Wiig to Star as Lead Characters?
- 'Parks and Recreation' Season 6 Finale Spoilers: Will Leslie Take Up the New Job?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date: Patent Hints at Drastic Changes in Design
- iPhone 6 Release Date: Comparison of Apple Smartphone's Case with Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3 and iPhone 5S [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy K (aka S5 Zoom) Snapshots Leaked Online Ahead of Official Launch