On Sept. 13, Apple rolled out the new iOS 10 to all eligible iPhones, iPads and iPods. But, soon after release, it had a harrowing time, as the firmware was reported to be bricking select devices and also severed the network connectivity in T-Mobile iPhone 6 (& 6 Plus) and SE series handsets.
Within hours, the Cupertino-based company rectified all those issues. Now, Apple has released an incremental update v10.0.1. It fixes a few minor bugs and comes with improved security features and depending on the type of device, it will weigh anywhere between 20MB to 70MB.
The new iOS 10.0.1 also plugs the loop holes in the kernel of the system to make the devices un-jailbreakable and those which are already jailbroken, it will be reversed upon upgrading to the new iOS 10.0.1.
Previously, Apple had patched the loop-hole in the kernel protection system in the iOS v9.2 in late October in 2015. But, it was cracked open recently by jailbreaking communities, who had access to the iOS 10 beta software. Now, it's nearly impossible to break free the iPhones.
- Fixes an issue that could prevent recognising "Hey Siri" requests
- Fixes issues that could affect audio quality for calls made over VoLTE
- Fixes issues that could impact Bluetooth connectivity and pairing with Apple Watch
- Improves stability of the Camera and Contacts apps
How to install latest iOS v10.0.1 update on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch:
Via OTA (Over-The-Air):
- 1. Settings >> General >> Software update
[Tip: Users' who want to install the update directly on the device via OTA, make sure to clear enough device storage space and also make sure the device has more than 50% battery life, before downloading the new OS firmware]
1. Back up your iPhone or iPad with either iCloud or via iTunes.
2. Launch iTunes on your Mac or PC.
3. Make sure you're on the latest version of iTunes. Go to About and then Check for Updates or visit iTunes.com.
4. Plug in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch if it isn't already.
5. Click on iPhone, iPad, or iPod in the top left navigation.
6. Click on the Check for Update button in the first section that contains information about your device and alternatively you can click restore instead if you'd like to do a clean wipe with updated software.
7. An update should be recognised, click on Download and Update in the popup menu and agree to any terms or conditions.
8. Unlock your device with your passcode if prompted in order to continue with the upgrade.
List of Apple devices eligible for iOS 10:
|Apple device category||iPhones||iPads||iPod Touch|
|Device versions eligible for iOS 9.3 update||iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus||iPad mini (2 Gen), iPad mini (3 Gen), iPad Mini (4 Gen), iPad (4 Gen), iPad Air (1 Gen), iPad Air (2 Gen), iPad Pro||iPod Touch (6th Gen)|