Xiaomi is unlikely to release any Nougat updates for Redmi Note 3 which runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow out-of-the-box. Despite featuring a power-packed hardware, Redmi Note 3 is definitely under-optimised with an outdated Android operating system.
Nevertheless, power-hungry Redmi Note 3 users can now go ahead and install one of the best custom ROMs with Android 7.1.2 update on their smartphone, thanks to the CyanogenMod-based Lineage OS 14.1 ROM. The ROM is reportedly fully compatible with RIL, VoLTE and Jio SIM, besides supporting Wi-Fi and Bluetooth options.
- Backup important data and settings on your Redmi Note 3 as the ROM installation will completely erase the internal storage of your device.
- Ensure you have installed the necessary custom recovery software on your smartphone such as CWM or TWRP recovery.
- Verify that your phone has at least 80 percent battery charge before you proceed with the installation to avoid unexpected device shutdown during the installation process as it could brick your device permanently.
How to install Android 7.1.2 LineageOS 14.1 ROM on Xiaomi Redmi Note 3
- Download the necessary LineageOS 14.1 ROM from the link provided above.
- Copy the downloaded ROM and Google apps (Gapps) zip files to the phone's SD card.
- Power off your Redmi Note 3 and boot it into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons until the recovery screen comes up.
- In recovery mode, perform Wipe Data, Wipe System, and Wipe Cache and Dalvik operations in the given order.
- Return to recovery home screen and hit the Install button.
- Browse and select the ROM .zip file which you copied earlier to your phone's SD card in the second step. Select the file and then swipe across the screen to begin flashing the firmware.
- Wait until the ROM installation is complete, and then flash Gapps.
- After flashing Gapps, your Redmi Note 3 will reboot automatically into the newly installed firmware.
That's it. Your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 is now running Android 7.1.2 update via LineageOS 14.1 ROM.