A new system update 5.1.0 has been released for Wii U which will bring in a feature that will give users the option of transferring data between two Wii U consoles.
Wii U users will now be able to transfer software and data from one Wii U to another Wii U device. This option of transfer between devices will be helpful for players who might have had an issue with one of their Wii U's or the other Wii U might be undergoing some update.
Users must also note that once the transfer is successfully completed, the data in source Wii U will be cleared out. Users will lose everything and only Wii Menu content, Internet connection settings, TV settings, Wii U GamePad TV Remote settings, and Wii Remote and Wii U Game-Pad pairing will remain unchanged.
Also all the Nintendo Network IDs that were present in the source Wii U will be available in target after transfer. Users will be able to connect and make downloads. However, saved data from Network ID will all be deleted during the transfer process. Nintendo has also said only 12 Nintendo Network IDs can be linked to a single Wii U at one time.
Users must also note that the Wii Menu digital content from both consoles will be combined. Uses must have a network connection that will allow both Wii U consoles to be connected simultaneously.
Users must make sure that the SD Card has enough space as it has to hold the data from the source Wii U. Also a TV will be required for the initial set-up of each Wii U. The update, 5.1.0, will also bring stability to the overall system.
Below are the features that will be introduced in Wii U's System Update 5.1.0 (Nintendo Support):
- Wii U to Wii U System Transfer
- Users can now transfer (move) all software and data from one Wii U to another
- A "System Transfer" option has been added within System Settings
- Click here for additional information on this feature
Changes to Nintendo eShop:
- Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller.
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.