Italian actress Asia Argento, who is a prominent activist of the #MeToo movement, has a case lodged against her for sexually assaulting a young musician named Jimmy Bennett in 2013.
Jimmy was only 17-years-old when Asia paid him around $380,000 to stay silent about the incident, reports New York Times.
Bennett came forward with his complaint after Asia accused disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein of raping her on October 2017. Bennett and Asia had worked together in a movie called "The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things" in which she plays the role of his prostitute mother.
The #MeToo movement had gone viral on social media, encouraging women to speak up about their sexual abuse incidents. A lot of actresses spoke about Weinstein for having sexually abused them. Asia was one among many Hollywood celebrities who accused him of rape.
Who is Asia Argento?
- 1) Asia was born in Rome, Italy on 20 September 1975.
- 2) Her father Dario Argento is an Italian film director and her mother Daria Nicolodi is an actress.
- 3) Asia started acting when she was nine-years-old and played a minor role in film directed by Sergio Citti.
- 4) Asia ran away from her home when she was only 14-years-old.
- 5) She never really wanted to become an actress but took up the profession to get her father's attention.
- 6) Asia became a well-known actress among the film fraternity after she essayed the role of a Russian spy in the movie xXx starring Vin Diesel.
- 7) She wrote and produced her first film titled "Scarlet Diva".
- 8) The actress, singer, model, director, and writer is a prominent activist of the #MeToo movement.
- 9) Asia was married to director Michele Civetta for five years.
- 10) She is a mother of two children -- Anna Lou and Nicola Giovanni.