Two people, including a five-year-old boy, have died of dengue in West Bengal in the last two days.

Sayan, 5, died of the vector-borne disease in Kolkata on Wednesday night, while a 35-year-old man died at SSKM Hospital in Dakshin Dinajpur district's Balurghat area on Thursday.

According to the latest reports, Sayan was admitted to the government-run BC Roy Hospital for Children on Monday after doctors suspected it to be a case of dengue.

Sayan used to live with his parents in Satellite Township of Salt Lake, which has its independent municipal body, separate from the Kolkata Municipal Corporation. He was a student of nursery at a school in Kolkata.

The teachers of the five-year-old went to meet his mother the following morning. One of the teachers who lived in Sayan's neighbourhood said, "I used to see him playing in the park all the time. This is shocking, the area is mostly clean, but clearly Dengue is here."

Director of Health Services B Satapathy said that although there has been an increase in the number of dengue cases this year, the situation is under control. "This year about 1260 cases of dengue have been reported across the State," he told The Hindu.

"The number of cases in Bengal this year is over 900. Around 300 cases have been diagnosed around Kolkata. The Municipal Corporation is taking several measures and the situation is under control," Principal Secretary at Health and Family Welfare Malay Kumar De told IANS.

Meanwhile, AIIMS director MC Mishra claims that after November, there will be a fall in the number of dengue cases.

"Until October 15, we will continue getting more cases. Once the temperatures cool down, we will see the decline in cases and gradually by January, it (Dengue) would disappear," PTI quoted him as saying.

"During the monsoon season there is humidity in the atmosphere, and due to changes in the weather environment, the mosquitoes breed. That sets up the stage for Dengue," he added.

Last month, a huge controversy stirred up in Delhi after a seven-year-old boy succumbed to the disease after being denied care by a hospital.