Indian web series have changed the way youngsters view the internet today. Apart from tuning into Netflix shows, 2016 saw many new web series (usually spread across five to 13 episodes) launch on YouTube. A few web series became extremely popular among youngsters and were seen discussing in college canteens, office meetings and on numerous social media platform.
Most of the shows listed below showcase the day lives of youngsters in different cities and the struggles they go through. The concepts so relatable led to the success of most of these shows. So if you have not watched these popular shows, it is time you spend your holiday binge-watching them before the year ends. Here is your bucket list of shows to complete before 2016 ends.
- Permanent Roommates: The story revolves around Tanya and Mikesh are in a three-year long-distance relationship face the prospect of getting married and the troubles that come with it. The story sees the couple having regular quarrels yet they plan to get married and want to make the long distance relationship a husband and wife relationship. The story takes a turn when, on a date together, Tanya pukes and on the visit to the hospital find out that she was pregnant. The series shows the ups and downs of the permanent agreement. You can watch the show here.
- Man's World: A Y-Films presentation, Man's World swaps the man and woman's role in the society. The show touches upon every point – eve teasing, dressing inappropriately and returning home with the opposite sex in the subtlest way possible yet making sure the message is conveyed well.
Catch the first episode here.
- Tripling: Struggling at different junctures of life – either one struggling from divorce, joblessness and hopelessness – three siblings get together to plan a road trip. A trip that starts in a hope of running away from their struggles sees Chandan, Chanchal and Chitvan bond as they face the problems of the road together and find themselves and their relations.
Spread some sibling love here.
- New Girl in the city: A web series focusing on the struggles of a small town girl in a new city, Bindass' new web series became very popular because of two things – the relatable storyline and the actress in the lead, Mithila Palkar. Spread across 14 episodes, the episodes are hardly 20 minutes each and you could binge watch them in a day's time.
Join her journey through the new city here.
- Little Things: Mithila Palkar's second successful web series of the year, Dice Media's Little Things has got every aww-ing after every episode ends. Spread across 15 minutes each, the five episode series focuses on the emotion every couple goes through rather than the situations they are put into. As the title suggests, it focuses on the little things of a relationship.
Cherish those little moments here.
- Love Shots: Another venture by Y Films, Love Shots saw adorable love stories come to life. Spread across six short films, the video series covered love during life and death, youngsters and senior citizens, and everything in between. Actors like Farida Jalal, Kulbhushan Kharbanda, Nimrat Kaur, Shweta Tripathi, Tillotama Shome, Saqib Saleem, Tahir Raj Bhasin, Rhea Chakraborty, Mohit Marwah, Saba Azad, Swanand Kirkire and many more artists are a part of the series.
Experience the love here.
- Ladies Room:
The third venture by Y-Films, Ladies Room is a comedy series showcasing what goes on when two ladies get together in a loo. Situations placed in six different washrooms, the story focuses on two best friends and the adventures they go through in six different ladies rooms. The show is a perfect take on modern young women who are struggling to catch up with their age.
Get a sneak-peek into the ladies room here.
- It's Not That Simple: A Voot presentation, It's Not That Simple focuses on urban marriages revolving around four people – Meera, Jayesh, Sameer and Rajiv. The episodes show their lives intertwining and changing after a school reunion. The definitions of marriage, love and friendship are seen changing. The story is narrated via Meera who takes the audience on a journey of self-discovery and her desire to have the perfect affair. The series stars Swara Bhaskar, Vivan Bhatena and Karanveer Mehra. Listen to Bhaskar narrate the story here.
Watch Bhaskar narrate the story here.