German car-maker Volkswagen launched a premium SUV christened Tiguan on May 24. After the withdrawal of Touareg, VW in India was running without an SUV in its line-up. While Touareg was brought to India in CBU which led to high price, Tiguan is produced at the Aurangabad facility in Maharashtra.
Tiguan SUV is now open for bookings across the dealerships, and Volkswagen will begin delivery by June. It is available in five-seater version in India. Here are the 10 things you need to know about Tiguan.
1. The second generation ofTiguan is based on the MQB platform of VW group as opposed to the first generation's PQ35 platform.
2. Tiguan measures 4,486mm in length, 1,839mm in width, 1,672mm in height and comes with a wheelbase of 2,677mm. The SUV offers a ground clearance of 149mm and has a fuel tank capacity of 71-litres.
3. The SUV is powered by a 2.0 litre diesel engine mated to seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The mill churns out 147bhp of power and a peak torque of 330Nm.
4. The SUV comes with 4MOTION intelligent all-wheel drive system with variable torque transfer to the rear wheels.
5. Tiguan comes with an ARAI claimed fuel efficiency of 17.06 kmpl.
6. The SUV is offered in only two trims -- Comfortline and Highline -- and has been priced Rs 27.68 lakh and Rs 31.04 lakh, respectively in Mumbai.
7. On safety, Tiguan is equipped with six airbags for occupant's protection and an Active Hood for pedestrian safety.
8. The interior of the SUV boasts of 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with navigation, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink compatibility and electrically-adjustable heated front seats. The high-end trim of the SUV gets a panoramic sunroof, reverse parking camera and ambient lighting.
9. Tiguan will be available in five exterior colour options -- Indium Grey, Tungsten Silver, Atlantic Blue, Deep Black and Oryx White.