A new Android 5.1 Lollipop custom firmware has been released to the Samsung's 2012 flagship phablet Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7105) LTE model.
This new custom firmware is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v5.1.0r5 Lollipop and is said to come with bug fixes to previous versions (v5.0, v5.0.2 & v5.0.2) and bring more customisation options to boost device performance, new visual interface, shortcut for easy access to key apps such as:
- SaberMod for ROM and kernel
- Enhancements and bug fixes cherry-picked from other ROMs, including Slim LP, Nameless
- O3, JustArchi optimisation
- Added Boeffla sound engine 1.67
- Added CPU governor zzmoove, smartassv2, savagedzen
- Added io scheduler row, bfq, zen, vr
- Fixed low in call volume
- Removed all kernel debugging stuffs
- Changed DPI to 280
- Fixed Netflix streaming (one more reboot needed after installation of Netflix)
- Fixed Video fast forward/backword
- Fixed Day Dream
- Fixed GPS
- Enabled Multi-user
- LMK minfree tweaks
- Misc tweaks
- Performance tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
The new CyanogenMod CM12.1 series firmware is created by a senior XDA Developer forum member going by the moniker, wilson3q. But we would like to remind users that this CM12.1 version is experimental software, so some issues are yet to be fixed. We advise our readers go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105 (with Snapdragon chipset)- t0lte- 4G-LTE models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial- Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod Android v5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105:
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM.