Prolific software programmers of XDA Developers Forum have released the latest Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM to the Google's 2014 flagship smartphone Motorola Nexus 6.
This new firmware is created by a senior XDA Developer forum member/moderator going by the moniker, albinoman887. Other contributors include Esa Laukkanen aka elelinux, Cyanogen, Team Kang, Garwynn XDA, MrTrip,Thescorpion420, DeveVorteX and ktoonsez.
It is 391MB in size and this CM12.1series CyanogenMod custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1 Lollipop. But we like to remind that this firmware is an experimental CM12 build (unstable), so some issues are yet to be fixed. We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Features which are working include:
- Built from CM source
- Google Now
- Video playback
- Audio playback
- Internal Storage
- Video recording
Bugs which needs to be fixed:
- VoLTE does not work so you lose data in calls if you are a CDMA user
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM firmware has to be installed on the Google Nexus 6 model (aka Shamu) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Google Nexus 6) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM on Motorola- Google Nexus 6-
Step 2: Connect Motorola-Google Nexus 6 to PC via USB chord.
Step 3: Then, place the Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by long pressing 'Volume Up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Then go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Motorola-Google Nexus 6) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM.