Popular custom ROM developers xTraSmooth have released the new Android 5.1 Lollipop firmware to the LG's flagship 2013 smartphone Google Nexus 5.
The new software is said to bring in bug fixes to the previous versions and also boost performance, enhance battery life and some customisation features improve the user-experience.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Google Nexus 5) smartphone will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
- This new CyanogenMod Android 5.1 Lollipop custom firmware has to be installed on the LG-Google Nexus 5 (aka Hammerhead) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step Installation Procedure of CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 Custom ROM on LG- Google Nexus 5-
Step 2: Connect LG-Google Nexus 5 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, make sure you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place the Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google apps .zip files into the phone's memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in root folder of the storage, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery].
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume up', 'Volume down' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: Once entering the 'Bootloader mode,' go to the ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: Use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode].
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition.'
Step 8: Go back to the ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to the main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card.'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for installing Google Apps. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (LG-Google Nexus 5) will take a minimum of five minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of xTraSmooth Android v5.1 Lollipop Custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]