Custom ROM developer CyanogenMod has released the stable version of CM12.1 firmware for the YU Yureka.
The official Cyanogen OS 12.1 update for YU Yureka was long overdue. Many Yureka owners had been asking why the company was taking time to roll out the update.
Last week, while announcing the release of Cyanogen OS 12.1 to OnePlus One, Cyanogen had said that the Yu Yureka and the Yuphoria will get the firmware soon, but refrained from sharing details about the update release.
If patience is not your forte, then you can try installing the CM12.1, a custom version of Cyanogen OS 12.1, on to your device. It is around 354MB in size and brings IMAP idle support, SDK v1 release and numerous bug fixes, including those to the Stagefright security loophole.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the Custom ROM):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation. [Read more: How to unlock Yureka bootloader and also how to root the device and install Recovery/ Alternate link, courtesy XDA Developers Forum]
- The new CyanogenMod CM12.1 [official] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM - has to be installed on the YU Yuphoria aka lettuce model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Users are advised to pay close attention to the CM release version and check whether the version of their third party installs (kernels, mods, gapps) are compatible with the custom ROM.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure to install USB driver in the PC, or else the smartphone (Yuphoria) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of manual software installation of Android devices. If the installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the device getting bricked or may even lead to the device being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if devices get bricked.]
Cyanogen CM12.1 (Android 5.1.1 Lollipop) Link:
Download ROM for YU Yureka (aka tomato): HERE [Note: Build date: 01 September, 2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step procedure for installing CyanogenMod (official) CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on YU Yureka model (aka Tomato)-
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM12.1 [official] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM in to your PC, connect the YU Yureka to the PC via USB cord.
Step 2: Place CyanogenMod CM12.1 ROM zip file into the phone's memory (root-folder only).
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must be rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding – 'Volume Up + Volume Down + Power'- buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to software ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now your device (Yureka) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM12.1 [stable] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM.