Popular custom ROM developers CyanogenMod team has released the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 milestone series firmware update to the Samsung's 2013 compact flagship smartphone Galaxy S4 Mini 3G model.
Like all software updates, CM11 M12 series too brings some enhancements to battery life, performance, but one key improvement in this latest CyanogenMod milestone firmware is that, it fixes the POODLE vulnerability found in SSL (Secure Socket Layer) v3 protocol, which is used by almost all Internet browsers found in Android devices.
This loophole in the internet protocol gave leeway for hackers to cause connection failures and trigger the use of SSL 3.0. Hackers exploited this to steal sensitive data from Android devices. [More information, HERE]
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
- Users also make sure that you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9190/I9192) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- This new CyanogenMod CM11 M12 series Android 4.4.4 KitKat custom firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini 3G (GT-I9190) and dual-SIM variant GT-I9192- models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation Guide of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9190/I9192
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 Custom ROM zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.4 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini I9190/I9192) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v4.4.4 KitKat CM11 M12 custom ROM.