After weeks of thorough testing, popular after-market mobile software developers Cyanogen team has released the official CM12.1 custom ROM to the Motorola's first generation Moto G (Falcon) model.
The latest nightly version is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.1 Lollipop. It brings lot of bug fixes and new custom features including refurbished email app powered by Boxer, which brings multiple account support, exchange support and canned responses for quick replies. Other customisations include sound alerts (bells or whistles), option to select different LED colour display for email notifications and many more.
We also like to remind that this 'Nightlies' version is unstable and there are some untested bugs which are yet to be fixed. So, we advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article first before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12.1 Nightly):
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward with custom ROM installation. [Read more: How to Root Motorola Moto G (Gen 1) with Android 5.0 Lollipop via CF-Auto-Root Tool ]
- This CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM can be installed on Moto G (Gen 1) aka Falcon models - XT1031, XT1032, XT1033 and XT1034) and Google Play Edition (XT1032), if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto G) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM Nightly on Motorola Moto G (Gen 1) aka Falcon-
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto G (1st Gen) aka Falcon to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, clickHERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto G - Gen 1) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.1 Lollipop CM12.1 custom ROM nightly.