Prolific custom ROM developers Cyanogen have released the new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware to the Asus' 2013 flagship tablet Nexus 7.
This new CM12 milestone software is a nightly version of the AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop update. As this nightly version is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it readers are advised to go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the installation.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
1. Theme Engine
2. Quick Settings reorganization and customization
3. Quick Settings Ribbon mode
4. Navigation bar reorganization and customization
5. Sound panel customization
6. Lock-screen quick unlock
It has been learnt that Cyanogen team have completed 85% development of the stable firmware and would soon roll-out in few days time. Until then users can upgrade their device with nightly update to explore all new features of Lollipop and also the custom features of the CyanogenMod.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
1. Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
2. The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
3. You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
4. Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
5. Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
6. Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
7. This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Nexus 7 (2013) models only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
8. Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
9. Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Google Nexus 7) will not be recognized by the computer.
10. Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Latest CM12 Custom ROM for Google-Asus Nexus 7 2013(Wi-Fi only) aka flo: HERE
CM12 Custom ROM for Google-Asus Nexus 7 2013(4G-LTE) aka deb: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM Nightly on Google-Asus Nexus 7 (2013)-
Step 1: After downloading the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM and Google Apps files in to your PC; connect Nexus 7 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the device's SD memory.
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure the device is already rooted and must have installed ClockworkMod Recovery.]
Step 3: Now turn-off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Then perform the regular 'Bootloader Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Volume (down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the 'Bootloader mode', go to ClockworkMod Recovery mode, then clear the device memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Google Nexus 7 2013 4G and Wi-Fi model) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Head to Settings >> select About device to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.