Barack Obama's term as president will forever be known as the time when marriage equality became a reality, but it is his charisma, swagger and overall coolness that the people will miss regardless of the person succeeding him. His speech at the last White House Correspondents' dinner as the president of the United States, which was held on Sunday, May 1, is just an example of that.
From Democratic nominee Bernie Sanders to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, everyone got burned by the president on Sunday night. He even psyched the attendees after making them believe he will not poke jokes at Donald Trump.
Here are some of the best jokes and burns the president made during the speech:
- About Trump not attending the dinner: I am a little hurt he's not here tonight. We had so much fun the last time. And it is surprising -- you have a room full of reporters, celebrities, cameras. And he says no. Is this dinner too tacky for The Donald? What could he be possibly doing instead? Eating a Trump Steak? Tweeting out insults to Angela Merkel? What's he doing?
- Sleekly endorsing Hillary Clinton: Next year this time, someone else will be standing here in this very spot and its anyone's guess who she will be.
- Burning Mike Bloomberg with Trump's popularity: Mike, a combative, controversial New York billionaire is leading the GoP primary and it is not you. That has to sting a little bit.
- On the current state of journalism: As you know, "Spotlight" is a film about investigative journalists with the resources and the autonomy to chase down the truth and hold the powerful accountable. Best fantasy film since "Star Wars."
- Taking a jab at the reporters that have left him: Savannah Guthrie has left the White House press corps to host "The Today Show." Norah O'Donnell left the briefing room to host "CBS This Morning." Jake Tapper left journalism to join "CNN."
- On and young and cool Canadian PM Justin Trudeau: Somebody said to me recently, "Mr. President, you are so yesterday. Justin Trudeau has completely replaced you. He's so handsome, he's so charming, he's the future." And I said, "Justin, just give it a rest."
- However, he is not above poking fun at himself either: Eight years ago I was a young man full of idealism and vigour. And, look at me now. I am grey, grizzled, just counting down the days till my death panel. Hillary once questioned whether I'd be ready for a 3 a.m. phone call. Now I'm awake anyway 'cos I gotta go to the bathroom.
- On being rated "high" on polls: My approval ratings keep going up. The last time I was this high, I was trying to decide on my major.
- About his "brilliant and beautiful" wife Michelle Obama: You might have heard that someone jumped the White House fence last week. But I have to give secret service credit, they found Michelle, brought her back... She is safe back at home now. It's only nine more months baby.
- And in most ganster move ever, President Obama ended the speech with "Obama out" and dropped the mic: