Sting, born Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner, celebrates his 64th birthday on 2 October, 2015 (Friday). An English singer, songwriter and popular philanthropist, Sting is best known as the frontman of The Police.
As we all know, Sting has given the world some of the best music and lyrics, both with the 1980s band The Police and as a solo artist. So, on his birthday today, we share with you some interesting trivia and draw a list of some of Gordon Sumner aka Sting's best philosophical quotes and songs.
Here are some interesting facts about Sting which may actually surprise you.
1) Gordon Sumner got his iconic nickname Sting when a fellow musician saw him performing in jazz clubs, wearing a sweater that made him look like a giant bee.
2) Gordon Sumner worked as a tax collector in his early days, before he formed The Police and became Sting.
3) His first interest in music was an old Spanish acoustic guitar. The instrument was left behind by an old friend of his father's, which intrigued him as a young boy.
4) Sting is well known for his philanthropic endeavours and activism. He is actively involved with various causes including human rights, AIDS, world hunger, and other environmental issues. In fact, he along with his wife Trudie, has founded the "Rainforest Foundation Fund" to help save the rainforests.
5) Sting swears by yoga. He keeps a fit life by practising yoga and adhering to a healthy macrobiotic diet — avoids animal products and processed foods.
6) Sting decided to leave The Police because he was convinced that they were at their peak and would never achieve anything bigger or greater than that.
Some of the best things that the rock legend has ever said — being philosophical.
"When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around."
"I can't really change my life to accommodate people who are jealous. I don't see why I should."
"That sense of failure, I don't know where people put it who don't write songs and aren't able to emote physically. It must go somewhere."
"The acceptance of death gives you more of a stake in life, in living life happily, as it should be lived. Living for the moment."
"Success always necessitates a degree of ruthlessness. Given the choice of friendship or success, I'd probably choose success."
"It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile."
"It's a big enough umbrella, but it's always me that ends up getting wet."
"Yoga is almost like music in a way; there's no end to it."
Best of Gordon Sumner — with his band The Police and as solo artist Sting
Every Breath You Take
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Don't Stand So Close to Me
Englishman in New York
All This Time
We'll Be Together
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free