Stephen Hawking passed away in the early hours of March 14. The physicist was 76 and was known for his contributions to the fields of cosmology, general relativity and quantum gravity, especially in the context of black holes.
Apart from his work, Hawking was looked up for defying barriers and reaching remarkable heights despite suffering from ALS, a form of motor neurone disease, from the age of 21. Through his achievements and speeches, Hawking tried to share encouraging messages to help everyone work hard and look at life through a different perspective.
On the occasion of his death, here'a look at a few inspiring quotes from the renowned scientist:
- Look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see, and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious.
- Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.
- My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn't prevent you doing well, and don't regret the things it interferes with. Don't be disabled in spirit as well as physically.
- No one undertakes research in physics with the intention of winning a prize. It is the joy of discovering something no one knew before.
- Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it.
- God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator.
- I hope I have helped to raise the profile of science and to show that physics is not a mystery but can be understood by ordinary people.
- We are all different. There is no such thing as a standard or run-of-the-mill human being, but we share the same human spirit.
- I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.
- However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.
- People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining.