Industrious custom ROM developer community AICP (Android Ice Cold Project) has released the new firmware to the Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE model.
The new AICP custom ROM is based on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow. It is around 282MB in size and brings the Doze battery saver feature, new security boot system and numerous value-added features to enhance user-experience on the Samsung's 2013 flagship phone.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM):
- This new Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM has to be installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (jfltexx) international LTE models only. If tried on other devices, they might get bricked [to check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number].
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void; the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing memory in the phone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB driver is installed on your PC or else the device (Galaxy S4 LTE) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure for Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9505):
Step 1: Download Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Then, place Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users begin installing the custom software, make sure that the device has been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Then, to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation].
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'.
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure for Google Apps installation. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options.]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and restart the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Finally, go to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation ofAndroid 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM.
Android 6.0 Marshmallow AICP custom ROM: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
USB Driver: HERE
[Credits: Team Android]