Last month, Sony had officially rolled out Android 5.1.1 Lollipop to its 2014 flagship smartphone Xperia Z3.
The new update was not a major one. It came with a few new features such as silent modes, a new alert system and camera improvements with superior auto-mode focus. Users, who are not happy with the update and want to have more customisation options to get more out of their Xperia Z3 device, can try installing the new Moonbreakers custom ROM, which promises numerous cool personalisation options.
Moonbreakers custom ROM is created by a XDA Developer forum's recognised member, Wolfbreak. He says that the new updated custom ROM is heavily tweaked for better Performance, extend battery life and more features to enhance user-experience on Xperia Z3.
Key features of Moonbreakers custom ROM:
- RXS Engine, RXS Tweaks, RXS LP Ram Management
- Fixed Signal spacing Bug introduced with 5.1.1
- File size reduced from 1.2gb to 800mb
- Project Desire 2.5.1 Sound Mod integrated
- PMEE-HS 2.0.3, Crystal Rezound Engine, RHR+ V2 and more
- 42 DPI Softkeys
- Enabled 2G/3G Only Mod
- Disabled Annoying Data Notification
- Enabled Speaker Voice Enhancement
- Full Screen Caller Mod With Round Call End Button and Without Reject Call SMS
- TeleService With Call Recording
Things to remember before installing the custom ROM:
- The new Moonbreakers Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z3 (D6603) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going ahead with custom ROM installation. [Read More: How to Unlock Bootloader on Xperia Devices – Official Sony Video Tutorial]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery / TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Xperia Z3) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes, Indiacannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation Guide of Moonbreakers Android v5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z3:
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z3 to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's internal storage. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding 'Volume (Up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z3) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to device's 'Settings' option>> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of Moonbreakers Android v5.1.1 Lollipop custom firmware.
[Note: If you face no issues during Moonbreakers custom ROM installation, please leave your feedback, HERE]