It's been more than three months since Sony announced the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop to Xperia Z series devices and after missing two deadlines, it finally began rolling out the firmware to Xperia Z3 and Z2 series devices in March.
But, still there is no confirmation from the company on when actually the new software will be released to the Xperia Z Ultra. So those who are impatient to wait for the official firmware can update their device with latest custom ROM.
This new firmware is created by a senior XDA Developer forum member going by the moniker, OmarEinea (Team Resurrection Remix) and is based on Android v5.1.0- r3 (CM12.1) Lollipop OS, bringing all the goodies of the new software such as Material Design, lots of graphic animations, lock-screen notification feature, performance tweaks and a whole lot of user-experience enhancing features.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- This Resurrection Remix Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z Ultra model (aka Togari) only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z Ultra-
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z Ultra to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place CyanogenMod Android 5.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z Ultra) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Resurrection Remix Android 5.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: XDA Developers Forum member- OmarEinea, Resurrection Remix]
[Note: If faced with any issues, please leave your feedback HERE]