Sony is yet to roll out the official Android 5.0.1 Lollipop update to the company's flagship Xperia Z series smartphones across the globe.
It has been learnt that Sony will first release the new OS update to the latest Z3 and Z2 series devices, and later to the 2013 flagship model Xperia Z.
Sony Xperia Z owners who are impatient and are eager to experience the newer, visually appealing interface and other customization options of the new Android 5.0.2 Lollipop, can try installing the new CyanogenMod CM12 series custom ROM.
We like to remind our readers that this nightly version is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it. So, we advise you to go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Some of features that are missing in the CM12 nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganization and customization
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganization and customization
- Sound panel customization
- Lock-screen quick unlock
The good news is that Cyanogen has confirmed that they are on final stages of the development (85-percent complete) of the stable firmware and would roll it out soon. Until then, users can upgrade their device with the nightly update.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed the above 1 and 2 steps
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade back to CM11 without wiping – if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Sony Xperia Z (aka Yuga) model; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to keep a backup of all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users need to install USB drivers on the PC, or else the smartphone (Sony Xperia Z) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure the device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance that the smartphone will get temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation Guide of CyanogenMod [Official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 Custom ROM Nightly on Sony Xperia Z:
[Note: Build release-date: 19/01/2015]
Step 2: Connect Sony Xperia Z to PC via USB chord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click (HERE) to download firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom firmware .zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder. Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular 'Recovery Mode' sortie by press holding "Volume (Up)", "Home" and "Power" buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select "advanced" and tap "wipe dalvik cache" [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap "choose zip from sdcard" and go to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++" and re-start the device by opting "reboot system now" seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Sony Xperia Z) will take at least five minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to the device's "Settings" option>> select "About phone" to confirm the installation of Android v5.0.2 CyanogenMod CM12 custom firmware.