Samsung Electronics has not confirmed the release date of its next-generation smartphone - Galaxy S5 - but has clearly hinted in its press invite titled, "UNPACKED5" that it would be launched at the upcoming Mobile World Congress (MWC) on 24 February.
The South Korean electronics giant recently announced that "Samsung Unpacked 2014 Episode 1" will be held at Centre Conventions International Barcelona (CCIB) on 24 February. ZDNet Korea went a step further by reporting that Galaxy Tab 4 and Galaxy Gear 2 will also be launched alongside the Galaxy S5 at the upcoming MWC.
Reports also suggested that Samsung's flagship smartphone will have several upgrades over its predecessor, Galaxy S4.
Here are five upgrades expected in Galaxy S5 based on the specifications provided by KDB Daewoo Securities in its note to the investors.
1) Galaxy S5 is expected to have 5.2 or 5.25-inch AMOLED display with WQHD 2560x1440 (560ppi) as compared to Galaxy S4's 5-inch Full HD Super AMOLED (1920 x 1080) display, 441 ppi.
2) Galaxy S4 is powered by 1.9 GHz Quad-Core Processor / 1.6 GHz Octa-Core Processor, while Galaxy S5 is expected to have 2.5Ghz Snapdragon805 (main) or 2.0Ghz Octa-core Exynos6 (64-bit).
3) Samsung's flagship smartphone is expected to run on Android 4.4 KitKat, while its predecessor, Galaxy S4 runs on Android 4.2.2 (Jelly bean).
4) Galaxy S4 has 13 Mega pixel Auto Focus rear camera and 2 Mega pixel front camera, while its successor is expected to feature a superior 16MP (rear) and 3.2MP (front) cameras.
5) Galaxy S5 is expected to have 3,200mAh battery, while its predecessor has 2,600mAh battery.
Samsung's flagship smartphone is expected to have lot more upgrades over its predecessor considering the fact that it will face stiff competition in the market, especially from Apple's iPhone 6, which is expected to be launched either in June or September.
Samsung is also expected to unveil two products - Galaxy Tab 4 and Galaxy Gear 2 - alongside its flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S5, at the upcoming MWC, according to ZDNet Korea.