American mobile software developer team, Cyanogen, has released the much-anticipated Android Lollipop custom ROM CM12 milestone series to Samsung's 2013 flagship phablet, Galaxy S4 LTE model.
This new CM12 milestone software is a nightly version of AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop.
We would like to remind our readers that this nightly version is unstable and has some un-tested bugs in it. So, we advise you to go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Some of the features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganization and customization
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganization and customization
- Sound panel customization
- Lock-screen quick unlock
Cyanogen confirmed that the development of the stable firmware is 85 percent complete and would be rolled-out soon. Until then, users can upgrade their device with nightly update.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and follow the above-mentioned two steps
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade to CM11 without wiping; if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then keep a backup of your existing installation in case you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (with Snapdragon chipset) LTE model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to keep a backup of all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery as there is a risk of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked, in case the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM Nightly on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-
[Note: build-release date - 15/01/2015]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 5.0.2 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder. Note: Before the installation of the custom software, the device needs to be rooted and ClockworkMod Recovery tool needs to have been installed.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use "Volume" keys to navigate and "Power" button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting "wipe cache partition"
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select "advanced" and tap "wipe dalvik cache" [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap "install zip from SD card"
Step 10: Then tap "choose zip from sdcard" and go to Android 5.0.2 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use "Volume" keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++" and re-start the device by opting for "reboot system now" (seen in the recovery menu).
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users can then head to Settings >> select "About Phone" to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android v5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.