Samsung's 2013 flagship phablet Galaxy Note 3 gets a new OS update via PACMAN custom ROM.
It's been a while since Galaxy Note 3 received Android 5.0 Lollipop and there is no official word on whether Samsung will roll out the new update or not.
Galaxy Note 3 has well passed its 18-month life cycle (completes two years in September), so Samsung will no longer be liable to provide official software support . 2013 Samsung phablet model owners will now have to depend on custom ROMs.
Among the top mobile software developer communities, PACMAN is a reliable one. It has released a new custom ROM is based on AOSP (Android Open Source Project) v5.1.1 Lollipop. This version is only available to hand full of Nexus series devices, now it has been made available to the Galaxy Note 3.
Salient Features of PACMAC Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM :
- Advanced Keyboard options
- AOKP weather options
- Battery indicator around unlock ring
- Gestures anywhere
- Listview and toast animation options
- Navigation bar customizations
- Omniswitch option
- PAC Console (OTA Updater, Changelog viewer)
- PAC Performance
- Privacy guard
- Slim Pie control options
- Many more options are added to enhance the performance and also improve user-experience on Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the custom ROM):
- This new PACMAC Android 5.1.1 Lollipop firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N9005) LTE model only ; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005) will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of PACMAC Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM Nightly on Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE-
[Build date: 9 July, 2015]
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE N9005 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of PACMAC Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]