Popular crowd sourced custom ROM developer community CyanogenMod has released the new stable CM12.1 series firmware to Samsung Galaxy Note 2.
The new CyanogenMod CM12.1 is around 234MB in size. It is based on Android 5.1.1._r24 Lollipop OS and is said to fix the recently discovered security loop-hole Stagefright, which if left unchecked might leave Android smartphones vulnerable to data theft by hackers via mp3 audio file.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- This new CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105 (with Snapdragon chipset) 4G model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward with custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure USB drivers is installed on the PC, or else the smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
CyanogenMod CM12.1 Downloadable files:
New Samsung Galaxy Note 2 CM12.1 [Snapshot]: HERE [Build date: 07/10/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial- Step-by-step installation guide of CyanogenMod CM12.1 [Snapshot] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105:
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM12.1 [Snapshot] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM and Google Apps in to the PC, connect Samsung Galaxy Note 2 to the computer via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7105) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.