A Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone caught fire in a bag placed in the overhead bin of an IndiGo flight from Singapore to Chennai on Friday. The incident occurred when the aircraft was about to land at the Chennai International Airport.

The airline confirmed the incident and said in a statement: "IndiGo confirms that a few passengers travelling on 6E-054 flight from Singapore to Chennai noticed the smoke smell in the cabin this morning (September 23, 2016) and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board."

The cabin crew saw smoke coming from the overhead bin of seat 23 C and informed the pilot, who further alerted the ATC of the situation on board.

"Taking precautionary measure, the cabin crew on priority relocated all passengers on other seats, and further observed smoke being emitted from a Samsung note 2 which was placed in the baggage (of a passenger) in the overhead bin," the statement added.

The cabin crew discharged the fire extinguisher and transferred the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone to a container filled with water. The passengers were deplaned after the aircraft landed normally at the Chennai International Airport.

The airline thanked passengers for their "vigilance and cooperation" during the incident and immediately informed the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).

A DGCA spokesperson later advised flyers to exercise caution while flying with Samsung Note devices. "They should either keep these devices switched off or not travel with them," the spokesman added.

The DGCA has also summoned Samsung officials on Monday. Authorities will further examine the phone that caught fire.