A new CyanogenMod Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM12 milestone series custom ROM has been made available to the Samsung's 2013 flagship mid-range smartphone Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102).
According to Team Android, this new CM12 custom ROM is developed by a senior XDA Developer forum member going by the moniker, mukulsoni. This 238MB custom ROM is based on the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) 5.0.1 Lollipop and it is an experimental Alpha CM12 version, so some issues are yet to be fixed.
We advise our readers go through the tutorial article, before going ahead with the custom ROM installation.
Features of CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM which are said to be functional on Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102):
- SD Card mounting
- RIL (Reading SIM1 and searching networks but not connecting)
Features that are needed to be fixed include:
- Calls, SMS
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This new CyanogenMod CM12 series firmware has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) dual-SIM model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Grand 2) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Also make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 (SM-G7102) -
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Grand SM-G7102 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android Lollipop zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (up)', 'Home' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset' option.
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 ) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.0.1 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM.
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum & Team Android]