Sushant Singh Rajput and Kriti Sanon starrer, Raabta, directed by debutant Dinesh Vijan, had released on June 9. Though the movie generated initial hype owing to rumours suggesting that Sushant and Kriti were in a relationship, it hasn't helped the makers to earn big.
Raabta had a decent opening with Rs 5.61 crore at the domestic box office. But then the collection started falling down and on day 5, it made Rs 2.25 crore.
Trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted: "#Raabta Fri 5.61 cr, Sat 5.11 cr, Sun 5.21 cr, Mon 2.53 cr, Tue 2.25 cr. Total: ₹ 20.71 cr. India biz." Do you think there is any little chance for the movie to touch Rs 50 crore-mark in the first week?
Despite good actors, the director failed to make impress the audience. Looking at Sushant, Kriti and Jim Sarbh's previous movies, there were high expectations from Raabta, but the movie turned out to be imbalanced and confusing.
Here are some reasons why Raabta failed to impress the audience:
- Most of the critics did not like the way the story is executed. Raabta deals with the past and present lives of the characters, but the director couldn't balance it properly.
- Though Raabta won the legal battle from the makers of Magadheera, the film will still remind you of the South movie. From the action sequences to the storyline, there are similarities. As the plagiarism news broke just before the release, it has definitely affected the box office.
- People couldn't accept Sushant in a lover boy's role. From his TV serial Pavitra Rishta to his last movie M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story, Sushant wasn't seen in a lady killer character. Thus, the sudden transformation to this role made some of the audience feel he is overacting.
- Raabta was affected by competition from with Wonder Woman and Baahubali 2 at the box office. People are still buying Baahubali 2 tickets and Wonder Woman has done wonders at the market.
- As the first reviews about the movie started doing the rounds, people preferred not to waste their money on the fantasy thriller. On top of that, Raabta leaked online, within a day of its release. Many illegal websites are offering free online streaming of the copy of the movie which is apparently of poor quality. It is also one of the reasons why Raabta is failing to make money at the box office.