Sony has released the latest update for its next-generation console, PlayStation 4. The new system update 1.75 will be adding support for 3D Blu-ray movies.
The news was revealed via the PlayStation Twitter account.
PS4 System Software 1.75 is now ready to download. Get downloading.! pic.twitter.com/w1nFA1FHxi
— PlayStation Europe (@PlayStationEU) July 29, 2014
The new system update will also be improving the playback sound quality of the console during the usage of Blu-ray or DVD videos.
It must be noted that unlike the previous few updates, this update, 1.75 provides console users with a more worthwhile feature than just console stability updates that are usually rolled out. However, PlayStation 3 had this feature in it for some time now and when compared, it is not a surprising feature, said Attack of the Fanboy.
It was previously revealed by Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. that many features that were revealed when the console was unvealed were still in development. One such feature was the resume and suspend feature that would reduce the loading times of the console by enabling the console to go into a low power state thus preserving its power for the gaming sessions.
Also, it had laid down its plans of making players use Gaikai, allowing them to remotely play a friend's game to pull them out of difficult situations is yet to be released.
Below are the full update notes for PlayStation 4:
- Playback of Blu-ray 3D is now supported.
- Sound quality has been improved during 1.5x playback with Blu-ray Disc and DVD videos.
- System messages previously displayed on the top-right corner of the screen are now displayed on the top-left corner of the screen.
- [Featured Content] has been added to (Settings) > [System] > [Automatic Downloads and Uploads].
- When this setting is enabled, featured content from the PlayStation Store is automatically downloaded while the PlayStation 4 system is either powered on or in standby mode.
- To download while in standby mode, go to (Settings) > [Power Save Settings] > [Set Functions Available in Standby Mode], and then turn on [Connect to the Internet].
Delay in New PlayStation 4 Features Due to Prioritizing Money Making Features
According to a "verified" account on Reddit, a user named IWorkForSony gave out the reasons for the delays in the introduction of new features for PlayStation 4.
He said the reason for the delay in Sony rolling out new features in PlayStation 4 is due to its priority for features that make money.
When asked why it is taking such a long time to roll out the new features like the DLNA/MP3 support, he said in a post, "Huge backlog of features; priority goes to features that make us money."
He also shared that Sony has no plans to introduce a Windows Phone app for the PlayStation Store.