The world's most popular custom ROM developer community, CyanogenMod, has released the final stable version of CM12.1 series snapshot for OnePlus One. It is around 295MB and brings IMAP idle support, SDK v1 release and security fixes, including the Stagefright security loophole.
Things to remember before installing Custom ROM
- Users are advised to pay close attention to the CM release version and check whether the version of their third party installs (kernels, mods, gapps, etc) are compatible to the custom ROM.
- CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, they might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward for custom ROM installation. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing the custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back up the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (OnePlus One) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
CyanogenMod CM12.1 Downloadable files:
OnePlus One aka Bacon CM12.1 [Snapshot]: HERE [Build date: 01/09/2015]
Cyanogen Recovery: HERE
Google Apps: HERE
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod CM12.1 [Snapshot] Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model:
Step 1: After downloading CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM and Google Apps in your PC, connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click HERE to download the firmware]
Step 2: Place Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps .zip file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 3: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 4: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 5: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 6: Clear the cache memory by choosing 'wipe cache partition'
Step 7: Come back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that users will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 8: Return to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 9: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to install Google Apps [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 10: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod CM12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM.