A new PACMAN custom ROM based on Android Marshmallow has been made available to OnePlus One.
It is developed by XDA Developer Forum's senior member Flyod_Flivercod. It is said to feature the Doze power-saving feature, a faster Chrome browser, a more intuitive Now on Tap feature, a new security-feature-verified boot system, support for more international dialects, a new contextual assistance feature and numerous other features to enhance user experience on OnePlus One.
We like remind our readers that this PACMAN Android Marshmallow ROM is an experimental version, so it might contain some bugs. Users are advised to exercise caution before going ahead with this custom ROM installation.
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing the Custom ROM]:
- This new PACMAN Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models; if tried on other devices, it might get them bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> Model Number]
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [How to unlock Bootloader]
- Though installing this custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it voids the company warranty, and the company will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of the custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back up all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP.
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device would not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted midway.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation on) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or becoming permanently irreparable. IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of PACMAN [unofficial] Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM on OnePlus One (aka Bacon) model:
Step 1: Download the PACMAN Android v6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: Downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to PC via USB cord.
Step 3: Place the Android Marshmallow custom ROM zip file and the Google Apps "zip" file into the phone's storage memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the "zip" file into the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before you begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device is rooted and has ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool installed.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding "Volume (Down)" and "Power" buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory by selecting "wipe data/factory reset".
[Note: use "Volume" keys to navigate and "Power" button to select options while operating in Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by choosing "wipe cache partition"
Step 8: Navigate back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select "advanced" and tap "wipe dalvik cache". [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so the user does not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation.]
Step 9: Return to the main recovery screen and tap "install zip from SD card"
Step 10: Tap "choose zip from sdcard" and go to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM .zip file in the SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure to instal Google Apps. [Note: use "Volume" keys to navigate and "Power" button to select options.]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++" and restart the device by opting for the "reboot system now" option seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (OnePlus One) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to 'Settings' >> select 'About phone' to confirm the installation of PACMAN [Unofficial] Android 6.0 Marshmallow custom ROM.
PACMAN Android Marshmallow: HERE
USB driver: HERE
[If faced with any issues, then please leave your feedback, HERE]
[Credits: XDA Developer Forum, Flyod_Flivercod]