With Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Apple iPhone 6 being unveiled, the limelight is now on Google's upcoming flagship smartphone dubbed as the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X.
The release date of the next-generation smartphone is not known yet, but most of its features have been leaked. Going by the reports, it is expected to have several feature upgrades over its predecessor Nexus 5.
Google Inc is yet to announce the unveiling date of the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X, but is most likely to see the light of the day in the fourth quarter of 2014.
It may be recalled that Google Vice President Sundar Pichai had said at the Mobile World Congress 2014 (MWC 2014) that the smartphone would be announced in October. And Inferse has also claimed that Motorola Shamu aka Nexus 6 would be unveiled on 31 October.
Going by the reports that have surfaced so far, the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X may come with several feature upgrades over its predecessor from processor to camera to operating system.
Here are seven major feature upgrades Nexus 6 aka Nexus X is expected to have over Nexus 5:
1) Processor: According to G4Games, the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X is expected to come with Quad-core MT6732 64-bit chip that clocked at 1.5GHz, or the octa-core MT6752 SoC running at a frequency of 2.0GHz, while Antutu benchmark claimed that it will be powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon 805 chipset with CPU speed close to 2.5GHz. However, the Nexus 5 has a Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800 processor.
2) Operating System: The Nexus 5 run on Android v4.4 KitKat OS (upgradable to v4.4.4 KitKat). However, the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X is expected to run on Android L, which is yet to be released.
3) Display: Google's upcoming device may sport a 5.2-inch full HD screen with 1,440x2,560 pixels (565 ppi pixel density) and protected by Corning Gorilla Glass, while the Nexus 5 has a 4.95-inch display with 1,080x1,920 pixels (445 ppi pixel density).
4) Design: The Nexus 5 has the look of LG's flagship device but its successor is expected to look similar to 2nd generation Moto X, as Motorola may manufacture the handset. It is also reported that the device will come with a curved LCD display and a lightweight, poly-carbonate body.
5) Memory: The Nexus 6 aka Nexus X may come packed with 32GB internal memory and 3GB RAM, while its predecessor has 16/32GB internal memory and 2GB RAM.
6) Camera: The Nexus 5 has an 8MP with 3,264x2,448 pixels, auto-focus and optical image stabilisation. However, Antutu benchmark said the new smartphone will come with a 13MP rear camera and 2.1MP front snapper with features like auto-focus, optical image stabilisation and LED flash.
7) Battery: It is reported that the Nexus 6 aka Nexus X will house a 3,100 mAh Li-Polymer battery, compared to Li-Po 2300 mAh battery seen in its predecessor.
In terms of connectivity, both the devices will have similar features like Wi-Fi, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and micro-USB connectivity slot. They may also have same sensors - accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass and barometer.