The nine-night long Navratri (Navarathri), a festival celebrated to worship Goddess Durga, will commence on 13 October - the first day of the month of Ashvin, according to the Hindu calendar.
The nine forms of the Devi are worshipped during the nine nights and 10 days. The 10th day is celebrated as the Dussehra festival, which falls on 22 October this year.
Celebrated all over India and Nepal, Navratri is known for fasting, enjoying various delicacies, as well as engaging in dance and prayers.
Nine forms of Durga
- Śailaputrī (Daughter of the Himālayas)
- Brahmachāriṇī (Observes the state of celibacy doing penance)
- Chandraghaṇṭā (Bears the moon in her necklace )
- Kūṣmāṇḍa (The creator of the universe)
- Skanda-Mātā (The mother of Skanda, Kārttikeya, who were born out of her powers)
- Kātyāyanī (The daughter of sage Kātyāyana, who is incarnated to help the Devas)
- Kālarātrī (Ddestroyer of Kālī)
- Mahāgaurī (the wife of Lord Shiva)
- Siddhidātrī (Provider of Siddhis, giver of mystic powers)
Check out some wishes, messages and picture greetings to be shared on Navratri 2015:
May you be blessed with good fortune as long as Ganeshji's trunk, wealth and prosperity as big as his stomach, happiness as sweet as his ladoos and may your trouble be as small as his mouse. Happy Navratri!
Fortunate is the one who has learnt to admire and not to envy.
Good Wishes for a joyous Navratri and a Happy New Year with a plenty of peace and prosperity.
Navratri means 9 nights of devotion. Spirituality, Celebrations, Music, Dance, Garba, Stuti. Hope the divine blessings of Maa always be with you. Happy Navratri.
May this Navratri light up for you the hopes of happy times and dreams for a year full of smiles! Wishing you Happy Navratri.
May Devi Durga empower you and your family with her nine Swaroopa of name, fame, health, wealth, happiness, humanity, education, bhakti and shakti. Happy Navratri 2015