Easter is over, and Memorial Day is still several weeks away, but those of you looking for a reason to hit the pub, we have 7 April as National Beer Day to celebrate the beverage that makes everyone look attractive.
For beer enthusiasts, National Beer Day is an unofficial holiday in the United States. History tells us that National Beer Day came into being on 7 April, 1933, when President Franklin D. Roosevelt took the first step towards ending Prohibition.
And so for the first time in 13 years, people were allowed to buy and sell beer, as long as it had less than 4% alcohol by volume. Thousands of people then responded to the lifting of the ban and gathered outside breweries to celebrate the occasion and so was born the tradition of National Beer Day.
United Kingdom and Iceland also have a National Beer day but the dates vary.
In Iceland, the day is observed on 1 March, while United Kingdom has been officially celebrating National Cask Ale Week since 2009.
For National Beer Day 2015, here is a compilation of some witty quotes and jokes to get you into the mood to celebrate the occasion:
National Beer Day - Quotes and Sayings
- Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented -- Gilbert K. Chesterton
- Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer -- Henry Lawson
- Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world -- Kaiser Wilhelm
- You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer -- Frank Zappa
- I'm an old-fashioned guy... I want to be an old man with a beer belly sitting on a porch, looking at a lake or something -- Johnny Depp
- He was a wise man who invented beer -- Plato
- Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world -- Jack Nicholson
- They who drink beer will think beer -- Washington Irving
- Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder -- Kinky Friedman
- Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -- Benjamin Franklin
- For a quart of Ale is a meal for a King -- William Shakespeare
- Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza -- Dave Barry
National Beer Day - Jokes and Funny Quotes
- What is a man's idea of a balanced diet? A: A Budweiser in each hand!
- If beer pong was a sport, I'd have a full scholarship
- What is printed on the bottom of beer bottles in the south? A: Open other end.
- If you can't drink and drive, why do you need a driver's license to buy beer.
- Say 'beer can' with a British accent. I just taught you how to say 'bacon' with a Jamaican accent.
- Never text while driving, you might spill your beer.
- A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
- Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Two fishermen were adrift in their rented boat due to an engine failure. While rummaging through the boat's provisions, one of the men stumbled across an old lamp. Secretly hoping that a genie would appear, he rubbed the lamp vigorously. To the amazement of the castaways, a genie came forth. This particular genie, however, stated that he could only deliver one wish, not the standard three.
Without giving much thought to the matter the man blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into beer!" The genie clapped his hands with a deafening crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the finest brew ever sampled by mortals.
Simultaneously, the genie vanished. Only the gentle lapping of beer on the hull broke the stillness as the men considered their circumstances.
One man looked disgustedly at the other whose wish had been granted. After a long, tension filled moment, he spoke: "Nice going idiot! Now we're going to have to piss in the boat!"