It's been more than two months since Motorola released its official Android 5.0 Lollipop to Moto G (2nd Gen) across the globe.
The new update brought a whole new UI (Material Design), lots of animation graphics, enhanced performance and extended battery life. But, those who want more customisations to make Moto G (2nd Gen) function smoothly, they can try installing Cyanogen's CM12 series custom ROM to their devices.
Cyanogen team have confirmed that the new CM12 is a Nightly version of AOSP (Android Open Project) 5.0.2 Lollipop. Although it is the official custom ROM, "Nightlies" version is a bit unstable and there are some bugs which need to be fixed. Developer team has promised to release new updates weekly before they could roll-out the official stable CM12 snapshots.
Some of features that are missing in the nightly version are:
- Theme Engine
- Quick Settings reorganization and customization
- Quick Settings Ribbon mode
- Navigation bar reorganization and customization
- Sound panel customization
- Lock-screen quick unlock
We advise our readers to go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (Things to remember before installing the CyanogenMod CM12 Nightly):
- Users are advised to update their third party add-ons to ensure compatibility
- The CM backupscript.sh in recovery will ignore and remove incompatible applications from your system partition (these are usually non-CM apps that users have opted to install). You must install a compatible app (or app pack) to regain that functionality
- You can flash CM12 nightlies directly from CM11 M12 or CM 11 nightlies (no need to wipe), provided you read and followed items 1 and 2
- Once on CM12 nightlies, you cannot downgrade to CM11 without wiping; if you are thinking of just exploring the release, then take a backup of your existing installation if you want to go back to it.
- Users must install Lollipop OS compatible recovery before installing the new CM12 custom ROM.
- 6. Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation. [Read more: How to Root Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) with Android 5.0 Lollipop via CF-Auto-Root Tool]
- This CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM11 M12 custom ROM can be installed on Moto G (2nd Gen) aka Titan models if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto G) will not be recognized by the computer.
10. Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted in the mid-way.
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM Nightly on Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen)-
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen) aka Titan to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, clickHERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Place CyanogenMod CM12 Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Come go back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto G 2nd Gen) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then need to head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of CyanogenMod [official] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CM12 custom ROM nightly on Moto G (2nd Gen) aka Titan.