Medscape India announced its first ever edition of awards on Sunday. Baba Amte's son Vikas Amte, Dr. Ramakanta Panda and TATA Memorial win inaugural Medscape India Awards 2012.
The top honours were awarded in 20 categories at the grand ceremony hosted by Founder President of Medscape India, philanthropist Dr.Sunita Dube.
Along with the grand jury, doctors from all over the country were present in large numbers to cheer their fraternity.
Opening the day's celebrations, Health Minister Suresh Shetty talked about the Beed crisis and challenges faced by the fraternity.
A group of doctors including Dr. Kishore Taori, president of Maharashtra medical council, Dr. Jhunjhunwala, Dr. Lekha Pathak, Dr. H R Jhunjhunwala, Dr. Himanshu Mehta, and Dr.Sancheti vowed to spread awareness about gender neutrality through a stronger "save the girl child campaign."
"The Medscape Awards have been a dream come true for me," Dr. Sunita said. "It has been six exacting months of preparation and support from the medical, pharmaceutical and paramedical fraternity. I hope that future generations of doctors aspire to win these awards."
The award consists of a beautiful ebony and gold trophy that symbolizes the "international symbol of healthcare."
Dr. Vikas Amte won in the category of social contribution in healthcare; Dr. Ramakanta Panda won in the category of excellence in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery and Tata Memorial won in the category of excellence in hospital administration.
Awards were given away by eminent dignitaries such as Dr. TP Lahane, the dean of JJ Hospital and others.
Here is a complete list of awards:
1. Excellence in medicine - Dr. Farokh Erach Udwadia
2. Excellence in Surgery - Dr. Snehalata Deshmukh
3. Excellence in Neurosurgery - Dr.Paresh K.Doshi
4. Excellence in Dermatology - Dr Hemangi R Jerajani
5. Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology - Dr. C. N. Purandare
6. Excellence in Ophthalmology - Dr. Ragini Hasmukhray Parekh
7. Excellence in Radiology - Dr. Mukund Joshi
8. Excellence in Wellness and Health Care - Ms. Shelly Khera
9. Excellence in Homeopathy - Dr. Jawahar Shah
10. Excellence in Ayurveda - Shri Ramji Girijashankar Jyotishi
11. Excellence in Physiotherapy - Dr. D. H. Dastoor
12. Excellence in Health Equipment - Manman Indigenous Equipment
13. Excellence in Dentistry - Dr. Mansingh G. Pawar
14. Excellence in Orthopedics - Dr. Kantilal Hastimal Sancheti
15. Excellence in General Practice - Dr. Jitendra Trivedi
16. Excellence in Medical Tourism - Seven Hills Group