Makar Sankranti – also known by the name of Pongal in South India and Maghi in Punjab – is among the most auspicious occasions celebrated by Hindus in all parts of India as well as Hindu communities such as Nepal and others.
Thousands of people take a dip in the Ganga or pray to the Sun God in what is otherwise regarded as a harvest festival celebrated by zealous Hindus with much cheer, devotion and fanfare.
In 2015, Makar Sankranti falls on 15 January although precise astrological calculation indicates that the official time of the celebration also encompasses a few hours of the previous day, 14 January.
Said to have a very profound spiritual significance, Sankranti refers to the transitional phase when the Sun passes through the house of Sagittarius to the house of Capricorn. It is a holiday of new commitments and new resolutions.
We have rounded up 15 best quotes, sayings, messages and wishes to share on this special Hindu festival as greetings to friends and family members, courtesy websites such as IloveIndia, India.com, Desi Comments and Sahara Samay [ Also visit 365Greetings for Pongal greetings in Tamil language, and the aforementioned sites for other wishes in Hindi language] :
- Salutations and adorations to the Supreme Lord, the primordial power that divided the year into the four seasons. Salutations to Surya, the Sun God, who on this great day of Makar Sankranti embarks on his northward journey (Uttarayana). - Author Unknown
- Seekers of Truth, aspirants on the path of Yoga, devotees of God, lovers of mankind, all these have to pay tribute to the supreme father of energy, vital, which is Surya. 'Suryah pratyaksha devata' (The Sun is the visible God). If you have any visible God, it is the Sun before you. You cannot see God in His pristine excellence, but you can see God through the operation of his powers in nature. So, this particular day, we call Makara Sankranti, is holy. - Swami Krishnananda
- The sun signifies knowledge, spiritual light and wisdom. Makar Sankranti signifies that we should turn away from the darkness of delusion in which we live, and begin to joyously let the light within us shine brighter and brighter. We should gradually begin to grow in purity, wisdom, and knowledge, even as the sun does from this day. - Swami Sivananda
- The sun, symbolizing wisdom, divine knowledge and spiritual light, which receded from you when you reveled in the darkness of ignorance, delusion and sensuality, now joyously turns on its northward course and moves towards you to shed its light and warmth in greater abundance, and to infuse into you more life and energy. - Author Unknown
- May this festival bring in the Promise of a good harvest,sweetness of Pongal, Brightness of the sun; joy, hope and happiness. Happy Makar Sankranti
- The sun rises with hope, kites fly with bigour, crops are ready to be harvested – all denoting hope, joy and abundance
- The eternal mystery of life is a new start. Wishing you a happy Makar Sankranti.
- Makar Sankranti denotes great planning and happy beginnings; daring and new destinations; success and sweetness. Wish you a great Pongal! And Joyous Makar Sankranti!
- Sending you warm greetings on the auspicious occasion of Makar Sankranti and wishing you life's best now and in all the days to come. Happy Makar Sankranti
- Our thoughts hold the power to build, bend or break our circumstances. Best wishes.
- A beautiful, bright and delighted day, sun entered Makar to intense the ray. Crop harvested to cheer the smiles, come together and enjoy the life.
- To sweet friend, I send Happy Makar Sankranti Wishes for you with love. I hope this harvest is the Best in the whole year and you Have lots of grains to earn profits.
- May the Makar Sankranti fire burn all the moments of sadness and bring you warmth of joy and happiness and love...
- A new beginning, a new destination, with happiness or sorrow, with pain or pleasure. Happy Makar Sankranti!
- May your life be blessed with love.
May your life be blessed with lakshmi
May your life be blessed with happiness.
Happy Makar Sankranti!