Lou Vincent confirmed he is one of the players being investigated by the ICC's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU), with Chris Cairns thought to be one of the others involved in the probe.
The New Zealand Herald broke the story in Thursday morning, saying the ICC had been in New Zealand for the past four months investigating spot and match-fixing allegations. New Zealand Cricket and the ICC would neither confirm nor deny the report.
According to reports, three players are being investigated by the ACSU with the identity of one player being revealed by the player himself.
"I wish to let everyone know that I am cooperating with an ongoing ICC Anti-Corruption investigation that has been made public today," Vincent said in a statement.
"This investigation is bound by a number of rules and regulations that mean I am unable to make any further public comment. I will personally talk to the public when I am able to. In the meantime I cannot comment. Please respect me and my family's privacy until such time."
None of matches under scrutiny took place in New Zealand, with Cairns, thought to be one of the other investigated players, refusing to comment too much on the issue. "We need to let the investigation by the ICC run its course," he told Fairfax Media.
David White, the CEO of NZC, admitted he was aware of the identity of all the three players, but insisted none of them were involved with the team at present.
"New Zealand Cricket is aware that the International Cricket Council is investigating a small number of New Zealand cricketers," White said in Dunedin, where the Kiwis are playing a Test match against the West Indies.
"We have been aware of this investigation for a number of months and we are shocked and surprised by the allegations. We support the ICC's investigation as corruption has no place in our sport.
"However, I would like to clarify a number of matters. No current New Zealand players are being investigated, no games played in New Zealand are being investigated and lastly no matches under NZC jurisdiction are being investigated. This is an ongoing ICC investigation and I simply can't comment further."
White had a "no comment" for questions on where the matches took place.
ICC issued a statement soon after the New Zealand Herald story was published. "Following the publication of an article in a leading New Zealand newspaper earlier today in which it is alleged that a small number of former New Zealand cricketers had engaged in fixing activity in historic cricket matches and were being investigated by the ICC's anti-corruption and security unit (ACSU), the ICC confirms that it has indeed been working closely over the past few months with its colleagues in the domestic anti-corruption units of member boards to investigate these and related matters," the statement read.
"The ICC and all of its members maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards corruption in the sport, and the ACSU will continue to collaborate with relevant individuals in order to complete its investigation process.
"Naturally, as the investigation remains ongoing and nobody has been charged with any offence, no further comment will be made by the ICC or by NZC."