Gagan Narang gave a good started to the week by winning India's first medal in the ongoing London Olympics - he won a bronze medal in men's 10m air rifle - but the days that followed were gloomy with medal hopefuls faltering.
India's tennis men's doubles teams, which were dogged with controversies before the start of the games, have been knocked out of the contention. Leander Paes and Vishnu Vardhan lost to France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Michael Llodra. The archery team failed, and so too the hockey team. Now, all hope rests on boxing and badminton.
Here are the London Olympics 2012 day 5 highlights in pictures:
- Badminton: Saina Nehwal entered quarter-finals of women's singles event: She defeated Jie Yao of Netherlands 21-14, 21-16.
- Badminton: Parupalli Kashyap became the first Indian male badminton player to enter the quarter-finals at the Olympics by beating Niluka Karunaratne of Sri Lankan 21-14, 15-21, 21-9 on Wednesday.
- Rowing: Swaran Singh in men's singles sculls final.
- Tennis: Indian pair Leander Paes and Vishnu Vardhan was knocked out of the Olympic men's doubles. They lost 7-6 (7/3), 4-6, 6-3 to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Michael Llodra of France.
- Hockey: India lost to New Zealand 3-1 on Wednesday.
- Shooting: Annu Raj out of the competition, finishing in the 28th spot with a total of 286 points in 25m pistol event.
- Shooting: Rahi Sarnobat finished 19th in women's sport pistol event.