A cloud of gloom hangs over Tamil Nadu as Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam supremo M Karunanidhi passed away on Tuesday, August 7, in Chennai. Tributes are pouring in from all quarters and his mortal remains have now been kept at the city's Rajaji Hall for people to pay their final respects.
Here are the LIVE updates:
- Madras HC has directed Traffic Ramaswamy's lawyer to file memorandum that he has no objection to bury Karunanidhi's body at Marina beach. The Lawyer has submitted the memorandum to the Acting Chief Justice.
- Former Kerala CM Oommen Chandy and Deepa Jayakumar, the general secretary of MGR Amma Deepa Peraval have paid their last respects to former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi at Chennai's Rajaji Hall.
- The lawyer of petitioner Traffic Ramaswamy said that they have no objection to the burial land for Karunanidhi. Acting Chief Justice has asked the lawyer to 'withdraw the case'.
- Tamil Nadu Govt has filed its counter affidavit in the case. Hearing in the matter is underway at Madras High Court.
- The case against denial of burial land by Tamil Nadu Govt at Marina beach is being heard at the Marina beach.
- Karunanidhi's family and party wants to bury the DMK supremo at Marina Beach. However, the TN governemnt has said that it was ready to offer two acres of land near Gandhi Mandapam in Guindy. Congress leaders K Kamaraj and C Rajaji were also buried in Gandhi Mandapam.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit pays last respects to former Tamil Nadu CM M Karunanidhi at Chennai's Rajaji Hall.