Delhi Metro (representational image)
Delhi Metro [Representational Image]wikimedia commons

The accused in the Karkardooma metro station shooting has allegedly committed suicide in Uttar Pradesh's Muradnagar on Wednesday.

Pawan Kumar had been on the run after he shot his wife and his father-in-law at the entrance of the Karkardooma metro station in east Delhi on Tuesday. His body was found hanging from a tree near a railway station at Muradnagar. Police have not found any suicide note.

Eyewitness accounts said that Pawan appeared in a red Alto car and opened fire at his wife and her father outside the metro station. They said that the duo were on an escalator while the accused shot at them using a 12 bore double barrel gun around 12:10 pm. He left the gun on the spot and fled the scene, reported NDTV.

Kumar's wife Deepti died on the spot and her father Bhishamdas sustained injuries. He was admitted to a city hospital and is receiving treatment. The gun used in the shooting reportedly belongs to Kumar's father, a retired Delhi government employee. The father claimed that he had called up the cops on Tuesday morning and informed them about his missing gun. However, cops denied his claim and said that the father reacted after the incident.

Marital dispute is being cited as the reason behind the shooting. According to reports, Kumar and Deepti were married for nine years. Deepti had reportedly filed a case of assault against her husband at the women's cell.

"The marriage turned sour a few years ago as Pawan could not find meaningful employment," an investigating officer told a leading daily.

"Four months ago, Deepti walked out of her in-laws' house in Gonda and moved into her parents' place at Chirag Delhi along with the two girls. She also filed a police case with the crime against women cell. An enraged Pawan then went ahead and filed a case of restitution of conjugal rights at Karkardooma court."

On that fateful day of the killings, Kumar had followed his wife and her father to the station after attending a court hearing regarding a property dispute between the couple, according to police.