At least four people were reported injured in a clash with police during a protest over the house arrest of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani in Srinagar on Sunday.

The hardline Kashmiri separatist leader was placed under house arrest in the morning shortly before he was to leave his residence to address a seminar in Srinagar. It led to protests by his supporters and other separatist leaders outside Geelani's residence, ANI reported.

In order to disperse the protesters, Jammu & Kashmir police resorted to lathicharge. They also used tear gas and water cannon on the agitators, leaving four people injured in the process, the agency reported.

Several separatist leaders have been detained over the last one week in view of the proposed NSA-level talks between India and Pakistan on 23-24 August that was finally called off by Pakistan late on Saturday night.

"The scheduled NSA level talks cannot be held on the basis of the preconditions set by India," Pakistan had said in a statement.

The detention started after Pakistan high commission in Delhi invited the separatist leaders to a reception that was organised in the honour of Pakistan's National Security Advisor Sartaj Aziz on Sunday evening.

Four Kashmiri separatist leaders, including Shabir Ahmed, Bilal Lone, Mohammed Abdullah Tari and Zamir Ahmed Sheikh were among those detained on Saturday on charges of attempting to disturb peace. While Lone was placed under house arrest in his rented accommodation in south Delhi, the other three were confined to a guest house in the national capital. Lone was, however, released on Sunday.

The NSA-level talks were called off following differences on agenda of talks between the two nations. While Pakistan insisted on bringing up the Kashmir issue in the meet, India remained persistent on restricting the talks to terror and violence as decided by the prime ministers of both the nations at a meeting on the sidelines of the SCO Summit in Russian city of Ufa last month.