A new crDroid version Android 5.0.2 Lollipop has been made available to the Motorola's popular 2014 budget smartphone Moto E (1 Gen) aka Condor.
This new crDroid ROM is based on the CyanogenMod 5.0.2 Lollipop and is developed by a senior XDA Developers Forum member, going by the moniker, ace312.
Last month, Motorola initiated soak test, a pilot program of test running Android Lollipop update on select Moto E devices in Brazil and India; So, tech-savvy users who are tired of waiting for an update, can install this custom ROM to explore the all new features Lollipop and other additional custom options in crDroid.
This is an experimental version, so some issues are yet to be detected and fixed. Its been a little over a day since the update was released on XDA developer website and so far there are no major complaints on the new crDroid custom ROM. But, we still advise our readers go through the whole tutorial article before going ahead with the installation.
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM)
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward for custom ROM installation. [More information on Moto E Rooting/Bootloader unlocking, HERE]
- This CyanogenMod [Unofficial] Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM can be installed only on Moto E (Gen 1) aka Condor; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your device (Moto E) will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
[Disclaimer:This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of crDroid Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM Condor on Motorola Moto E (Gen 1)-
[Note: Build date: 14/03/2015]
Step 2: Connect Motorola Moto E (Gen 1) to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, clickHERE to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place crDroid Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Custom ROM zip file and Google Apps .zip file into the phone's SD card memory.
[Note: Before users' begin installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery/TWRP tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'Volume (Down)' and 'Power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'
Step 8: Then to go back to Recovery mode, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. Repeat the same procedure again to install the Google Apps. [Note: use 'Volume' keys to navigate and 'Power' button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your device (Moto E 1st Gen) will take a few minutes to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of crDroid Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM.
[Credits: XDA Developers Forum members- ace312, percy_g2, @Cristiano Matos, CyanogenMod, SlimRoms, @kufikugel, AOSPA (Paranoid Android), OmniRom, NamelessROM, @temasek, @faux123, @show-p1984, @neobuddy89, @flar, @Tasssadar, @Mazda and others.
[Note: If faced with any issues using this custom ROM, leave your feedback, HERE]