A new Android 4.4.2 KitKat eZKAT custom ROM has been made available to the 2012 flagship phablet Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I317 (AT&T model).
The custom firmware (eZKAT) is said to be based on v4.4.2 KitKat OS and comes with loads of customization options like-
- All Galaxy Note 3' S-Pen features like Air Command, Pen Window S Note and more
- Galaxy S5 apps setting options
- MIUI batter bar customization option
- Clock mods
- More app launcher themes
- Network speed indicator
- Quick reply text option
- Performance (speed) tweaks and many more improvements to enhance user-experience
Prerequisites (things to remember before installing Custom ROM in to the device):
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and they will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- This custom firmware (eZKAT) has to be installed on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317 (AT&T) model only; if tried on other devices, it might get bricked [To check your device model: Go to Settings >> About phone >> model number]
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of whole data in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure they have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I317) smartphone will not be recognized by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted.
[Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable. International Business Times, India Edition cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Step-by-step installation procedure of Android 4.4.2 KitKat eZKAT custom ROM to Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317 (AT&T) model:
Step 1: Download Android 4.4.2 KitKat eZKAT custom ROM (here) in to your PC.
Step 2: Connect Samsung Galaxy Note 2 I317 to PC via USB cord.
[Note: Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed USB driver software, if not, click here to download the firmware]
Step 3: Then, place Android 4.4.2 KitKat zip file into the phone's SD card memory. [Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in SD card root, not in any other folder.]
[Note: Before installing the custom software, be sure that the device must have been rooted and has installed ClockworkMod Recovery tool.]
Step 4: Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
Step 5: Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press holding 'volume (up)', 'home' and 'power' buttons.
Step 6: After entering the RECOVERY mode, perform full data wipe, by choosing 'wipe data/factory reset'
[Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options, while operating under Recovery Mode]
Step 7: Now, clear the cache memory by selecting 'wipe cache partition'.
Step 8: Then to go back to ClockworkMod recovery, and select 'advanced' and tap 'wipe dalvik cache' [Note: This step is optional, but many recommend this procedure so that user will not face boot loops or any other errors in the middle of custom ROM installation]
Step 9: Again come back to main recovery screen and then tap 'install zip from SD card'
Step 10: Then tap 'choose zip from sdcard' and go to Android 4.4.2 ROM .zip file in SD card and enter the installation process. [Note: use Volume keys to navigate and power button to select options]
Step 11: Once done with the installation process, navigate to '+++++Go Back+++++' and re-start the device by opting 'reboot system now' seen in the recovery menu.
Now, your smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note 2 SGH-I317) will take at least a few minutes (only for the first time) to complete the booting process.
Users then head to Settings >> select About phone to confirm the installation of Android 4.4.2 KitKat eZKAT custom ROM.
[Credits: Team Android]