The Indian government has snubbed Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilanis's statement about the "substantial evidence" against the Lashkar-e-Toiba founder and alleged mastermind of 26/11 Mumbai terror attack, Hafiz Saeed, to proceed with legal action against him.
Stating a Government source, CNN IBN Live reported that concrete evidence against Hafiz Saeed has already been given to Pakistan.
The remark from the government came a day after Gilani told reporters at his Lahore residence on Sunday that Saeed is indeed a concern between the two countries but Pakistan needs substantial evidence to proceed against him.
"We are serious on the issue. The courts were independent and without substantial evidence we could not proceed against him," he added.
Earlier on Sunday, during the meeting between the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, Singh conveyed to Zardari that action should be taken against LeT chief Hafiz Saeed, who allegedly masterminded the Mumbai terror attack.
Meanwhile, terming his visit to India as "positive," the Pakistan Prime Minister said that a new team will hold talks with India to resolve outstanding issues between the two nations.
Pointing out that the Pakistan government has been making efforts for regional peace and stability through trade with China, India, Iran and Afghanistan, Zardari said that if Manmohan Singh comes to Pakistan on invitation, it will help strengthen ties between the two countries and bring stability to the region.
The founder of the LeT has been the focus after the US announced a bounty of $10 million on his head last week (April 3).
India accused Saeed of orchestrating the Mumbai carnage in which around 166 people were massacred in 2008.
The Indian government had been demanding the Pakistan government to handover the alleged terrorist ever since. However, Pakistan has been allegedly protecting Saeed despite several requests from India.
Interestingly, Saeed is a free man in his home country Pakistan and he moves around without any restrictions.
After the 26/11 massacre, Pakistan government put the 61-year-old alleged kingpin under house arrest for some months. However, it's reported that he was freed without any charges, claiming insufficient evidence against him.