Alastair Cook proved to be a thorn in India's side yet again, as the England captain, in company with the excellent Kevin Pieteresen, gave the visitors control after the second day of the second Test against India.

England ended day two on 178 for two in Mumbai, just 149 runs behind India's first innings total of 327. Cook was batting on 87, with Pietersen looking good on 62 from just 85 balls, as the pitch seemed to slow down considerably as the game wore on.

India began the day on 266 for six, with Pujara and Ashwin looking to take India well past the 300 mark and possibly towards 400. However, thing did not go according to plan, as Ashwin (68) fell after a mere 14 runs had been scored in the morning.

Monty Panesar completed his five-for, trapping the India No. 8 in front of the wicket to end the seventh wicket alliance of 111 runs. Harbhajan Singh, replacing Umesh Yadav in the team, walked out to the middle and typically provided some fireworks.

The off-spinner thumped a couple of fours and a six en route to a 35-ball 21, giving India some valuable runs, as they looked to get past 350. Harbhajan however, soon enough, fell prey to Swann.

With only Zaheer Khan and Pragyan Ojha remaining, Pujara was given the message to kick on and score a few quick runs, and the Saurashtra man got out for the first time in the series, in search of some fast runs. Pujara (135 in 350) came out of the crease in an attempt to loft Swann for a big boundary, only to miss the ball, allowing wicketkeeper Matt Prior to do the rest.

Zaheer was the last man out, unlucky to be given caught, when replays suggested the ball had missed the fast bowler's bat - however, the wicket was given as Swann completed his fourth wicket, with nine of the ten Indian wickets falling to the spinners.

England came out to bat with a purpose, backing their defences against spin as Cook and Nick Compton set out to frustrate the Indian bowlers, with MS Dhoni opening the bowling with spinners Ashwin and Pragyan Ojha.

Similar to his innings in the first Test in Ahmedabad, Compton looked assured in defense, but perhaps got a little too defensive-minded.

It took India nearly 32 overs to get their first wicket, but the patience paid off, as Compton edged one to Virender Sehwag at slip off Ojha's bowling.

Jonathan Trott continued his poor form in the tour, falling for a duck soon after, misjudging the length of an Ojha delivery and getting trapped in front.

India now looked like they might run the top order over, but Pietersen had other ideas, as the classy batsman stayed aggressive, yet patient to form the perfect foil to the calm and collected Cook at the other end.

Slowly but surely England started taking control, with India's bowlers getting a little frustrated as a couple of edges fell just short of the slips.

The visitors took full advantage of the reprieves to put themselves in a position of strength going into what promises to be an intriguing third day.